
Saturday, May 10, 2008
This post is delayed, but I am really glad I got it out
National Cross Country Championships 2008
A day of ups and downs & a day I'll truly remember for a long long time to come.
Started off the day with a thunderstorm, failure to take wallet, having utterly boring Eng, MT and Lit lessons. (thats the not impt part of the day)
Then we discovered that someday decided to write GO MCHIA on the support sheet, and underneath that put, "oh, but mchia's not in the team".
Then the fun started, from deciding where to go for dinner after nats, to doing nonsense in the gym, definitely the team spirit was there and I am proud to be part of this experience
testing out random gym stuff and holding the record for the row machine xD
bussing and thinking of tearing underwears and tau-poking bday boys
last minute panic on jackets and whether or not Zhi Ming will reach on time (;
down to the last few seconds before the race, where yours truly (the photographer) was getting ready with his camera.
Since I didnt manage to make the team, I decided that I might as well make use of today to "train". So mchia took photos for the team members at 4 different locations, cheering everyone on (including rival schools) xD Photos will be uploaded soon so stop bugging me!
& then the moment of truth came. sadly, there was not much contention for C boys as they came in 4th. But hey, you halved the result your seniors got! So thats a 100% improvement :) I am proud of you guys, especially since our team consist of 4 sec 1s. Next year, its your year to win!
the contentious point came when it was the B div boys' turn. Zhi Ming, despite having a 30m gap for a large part of the race, lost in a sprint to the finish to finish 2nd. But hey, you know that we will always know you as Champ Lim. Guan lin and Yeong Yang delivered the results, coming in 15th and 17th. Cho-han, picked up his 2nd 21st position finishing in 4 years, essentially means that half the time he run nats, he missed a medal by 1 pos. So we ended up with 55 points, behind VS by 2 point.
And after it was all said and done, the feeling of emptyness. standing there, feeling the last breath of the race, consuelling those who didnt achieve what they wanted. yet it was a sense of emptyness. 1 whole year of preparation, ended just like that. I guess we really wanted to win the shield very badly, but by a stroke of luck, VS took it away from us.
Enough said about the race itself, the more exciting things happened after the race. What with birthday boy surprise and Mr Lim treating all of us to Sakura, the night was one hell of a party!
Talk about playing "I have never" with __ and __ running around in their underwear in the middle of the night, exploring girls toliet, finding out OMG! secrets from fellow cross members
This is one night in the 4 years of cross country cca im in that I will NEVER ever forget